Saturday, July 16, 2011

Siena rides a bike

I am grateful for our long, somewhat flat, driveway to practice on.

There are a few things that dads are just meant to do. In my mind teaching a kid to ride a bike is a dads responsibility. I am glad Dave took this on. He was very good with her. Ben was really excited to run along with her.



I thought Siena might be ready to ride a big two wheel bike. I realized that most of her friends her age are riding a 2 wheeler and she probably should try. Suprisingly she was excited to try. When Dave got home from work they went out on a hot and sticky night and tried. I have to say Siena is not the most graceful of all of us. She did love her dance class but I was worried about her balance. We have this step down in our house from our kitchen to our family room and I am not even exagerating when I say she fell down it every day. I don't know if she forgot that it was there or if she just fell on it. So I wasn't too confident that she would get this balance thing for a 2 wheel bike. She really surprised me! She did great. The issue is she stops pedaling and coasts and she can't balance yet when she does that. So if she would just keep pedaling she would have it. Also she has trouble starting so I have held it steady and kinda just push her off. She is doing great. The problem is that it is so hot she can't practice long before she gets too hot and comes inside. Hopefully by the fall she will have it down and can ride outside for hours.

1 comment:

Jennie Larsen said...

Good job, Siena! We're so proud of you and hope it cools off soon so you can enjoy many hours of bike riding!