Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

We Survived Hurricane Sandy

We were attached to the weather channel leading up to hurricane Sandy. I started hearing about it over Facebook with people saying it was going to come and ruin Halloween. So we started watching the weather channel and discovered that they are out of control dooms day. It was a bad storm but really they need to take it down a notch. I realize N.Y and N.J. did get hit really badly and we did have high winds and lots of rain so I am glad this is the only damage that we had.
We prepared Sunday making lots of ice bags and filling our freezer with them. I went to the store with all the rest of Northern Virginia and got my milk and bread and water and non perishable snacks. I even bought disposable diapers just in case I couldn't do laundry. I cleaned my house and did all the laundry. It was nice to have that all done. So we were ready to lose electricity.
Sunday night we all slept in the basement to stay together and to stay away from the tall trees we have in our yard. The big trees are what really scares me. The kids were so excited to have a big sleepover. All Sunday night we watched t.v. waiting to lose electricity. It flickered a couple of times but always came back on. We went to bed Sunday thinking we were going to wake up in the dark. We thought we were good when we woke up with our electricity. I come upstairs and find this tree out our back window. It is so scary. Where the root came up is filled with muddy water. Dave said he couldn't tell how deep it was because there was so much water. We realize we are so lucky that it didn't fall in a different direction because it would have fallen on the kitchen and we were sleeping in the basement right under that. Thank goodness.
I drove around on Tuesday and it seemed like we had the only tree down in the whole area. It was amazing how well this area did. There were only a couple of neighborhoods that lost power. Finally! They cancelled school Monday and Tuesday for the high winds. I guess it was the right decision but now we only have one snow day for the rest of the winter before we have to make up days in the summer.
So we fared a lot better than people more north of us but are thankful that it is over. We got to celebrate Halloween as normal but I have to say that I hate hurricanes. They have ruined two trips to the beach and one threatened our wedding reception.

No comments: