Monday, March 15, 2010

what a difference a year makes




I felt very brave and decided to do the kids yearly doctors appts in one visit. This is very brave because last year Siena was told by the doctor that she was being worse than twin babies in the next room. She had a hard check up last year. This year I decided I had to prep her. We talked about it non stop and I tried to prepare her for what would be going on. Last year she wouldn't stand on the scale or do any eye test or hearing test. This year she was so excited to go to the doctor. We got there and played happily in the waiting room. When they finally called our name she was so excited. The nurse said she had never seen someone so happy to see the dr. Our appt was going well so far. We tried to insist that she was being a good example and showing Ben how to do everything. She went on the scale and height chart fine. Then it was time for the eye test. She liked telling the nurse all the shapes. I had to cover one of her eyes and she kept trying to dodge my hand so she could see it with both eyes but she did it with one eye and they said she had great eyesight. We got to the room and she happily put the gown on and answered the questions the nurse asked. I was really impressed how well she did. Ben did great and followed Siena in everything she did. I had warned her about the shots that she was going to get. I don't think she really knew what a shot was. She got 3 and the nurse had picked out sparkly bandaids that I think helped. Ben had one and had no idea what was coming to him. I think the nurse took too long to explain and warn her about all this. She told Siena she should be brave and not cry for her brother. I wasn't really happy about that but oh well, both of them cried and I was glad Dave was there to help. I held her down while the shots were given. I hate watching the kids get shots. Siena was so mad, each shot got worse. We kept telling her that next time she came she wouldn't have to get shots but I don't think she really cared about that. Ben got his one shot and cried for a little bit and then was fine. The one thing that Siena wanted was a lolipop from the dr. When we were finally done we went to get a lolipop and they didn't have anymore. Then started the crying again. When she starts crying sometimes she will just be dramatic over everything. Luckilly I had packed candy necklaces and problem was solved. I think one of the main reasons she was so excited about going to the dr.'s was that we were going to see if she was big enough to get a booster seat for the car. Of course, she found this bright pink rainbow one at Target that she fell in love with. So both my kids are about the same as usual. Siena is 10% for height and 25% for weight, I guess she went down a little bit. Ben is getting bigger on the charts. He is 50% height and 30% for weight. Both are healthy and happy and we are very happy for that!

1 comment:

Ashlie Elmer said...

that sounds like fun. i too am going to try and double up next time i go in June. but i am going to do chase and seth. i think seth will only need one shot and chase none. so hopefully it won't be too bad. i am nervous too. hopefully my trip will end well like yours did. it's always an adventure taking the kids to the doc. i can't believe how big your kids are...they are adorable!!